I can work as an editor and proofreader of educational and scientific materials in English or Romanian. I can edit articles, books, handbooks, coursebooks, dictionaries, brochures (but not advertisements) in various print, electronic, multimedia and online formats.
My strengths are:
- uncompromising uphold of quality and clarity
- understanding reader perspective and psychology
- familiarity with academic/scientific genres and discourse
- ability to effectively deconstruct and (re-)organize ideas
- advanced writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- appropriate use of available resources, including online
- willingness to learn, honesty, and patience.
Editorial work depends greatly on the state of the input text against the desired outcome and effect on the reader. Therefore, this type of service is typically priced per hour.
Before I can agree to collaborate and say a price, I must see the text myself and understand your intentions. Only then can we decide the appropriate level of my involvement and negotiate my fee:
- for international and corporate clients, see the hourly rates available on the Editorial Freelancers Association website
- for Romanian clients, my hourly rate ranges from 70 RON / 15 Euro for more basic editing and proofreading to 100 RON / 20 Euro for more substantive developmental editing.
The different rates do not mean that my work for Romanian clients is any less qualitative. My local rates are lower because I appreciate the challenges in affording quality if you are from a lower income country.
This being said, it is important that we understand and trust each other. For my part, I do NOT slack around, stare at the walls or check Facebook while I work on your text at your expense. If I say it took me 3 hours, it means I spent every second of that doing my best to improve your text as agreed, and to optimize the reading experience of your potential audience.
One more thing!
If you are interested in developing your own editorial skills in relation to academic/scientific writing in English, consider having me not as your editor, but as your writing coach.
The occupational code under which I can provide editing services is CAEN 5811.